Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Back to school night andthe CA education crisis

Last night was "Back to school night" at Anthony's school. You know, you go and listen to the teacher talk about what they have planned for the school year, what the kids do each day, how the grading works, etc. The FFA (basically our PTA) and the principal also gaves talks on fundraising, the budget, and how things have changed drastically this year due to huge educational budget cuts.

As I sat there listening to them go through the list of things that had to be cut, things like recess and lunch time supervision (yes, the state seems to think that having our kids supervised during these times in unnecessary), a nurse, a vice principal, a guidance counselor, etc I was reminded of the amazing elementary education I recieved. We had a wonderful art department, I mean, a full art room with supplies and we did art each week, same for music and PE and things of the like. Now the teachers are told they HAVE to teach certain things but they have to provide the supplies and curriculum themselves.

So, needless to say they FFA has promised that many of the cut items will still be provided, but it requires monetary pledges from the parents in order to make it happen. Obviously this years' pledge drive is much higher due to the number of things that are needed.

Again, I am sad for my kids, sad that they will not have the same experiences I did. Luckily Anthony's school has an amazing FFA and set of teachers who go above and beyond, so he will still get PE each week, a science lab, computer time, and art as well. But this isn't the case with most schools in CA. We are lucky to live in an area where the parents care and also have the means to give to pledge drives such as our school is doing. Many schools aren't so lucky, in fact the vast majority of the ones in our district alone are in low income areas where the budget cuts have caused severe problems. High classroom numbers coupled with lack of materials and supplies means our kids are getting the raw end of an already bad deal.

I don't know who to blame, if there is anyone. Could be the high end educators who get 6 figure salaries and God forbid we should cut any of that! Could be that people just think education happens, supplies, well paid teachers, art programs or not.

I am so grateful for the amazing edcuation I was lucky enough to receive all those years ago and I can only pray that my children will get a chance to have even half of what I did. I know that I will have to pick up where the school system drops off and that is fine, I just wish it wasn't so.

I will say this, I absolutely love Anthony's teacher. She has been teaching Kindergarten for 20 some odd years and you can tell just by how she talks that she is still passionate about what she does. She doesn't decorate her room all cutesy, she didn't have photos of the kids hung up for last night, but what she did have was a heart for children and teaching them how to succeed throughout their schooling. She emphasised reading with your children, sitting them close to you and having that time. She spoke about how she worries about the kids when they have bad days and celebrates each milestone with them. She and the other two teachers in her section work together to add things to enrich the childrens' learning experience, things like performing arts (she teaches them dance and yoga), and extra science curriculum, all added to the already full curriculum they are teaching. But these are things they feel are vital to the children learning and developing on track. So I rest easy in that. Anthony is in good hands at the most important level of education, his teacher whom he spends each day with.

No comments: