Sunday, April 17, 2011

When in doubt, ask a kid

So, if you have kids than you know they are brutally honest.  If you don’t have kids you might be aware of this as well.  For instance, this morning while watching Ace Venture Pet Detective with the kids I was laughing at something and Dom goes “your teeth are kinda yellow.”  Now, I am well aware of this, but adults know enough to keep these types of comments to themselves.  Kids, not so much.  So now, all because my 6 year old said something, I am completely self-conscious about my smile whereas before I was happy to live in denial while the adults around me continued to pretend my smile was nothing but perfectly white.  (Time out to make sure my Crest White Strips are staying in place).
This brutality I speak of can also be used for good, however.  Case in point, I come down all gussied up for church and the same 6 year old who pointed out my lack of dental hygiene now says “wow mommy, you looks really pretty.”  So you see, it is a double edged sword.  One minute I am an ogre with bad teeth, the next a princess ready for the ball.  How is a mom supposed to deal with this?!  But, I have to say, I am grateful for my children’s honesty.  They have no reason to hold back, no reason to think that by telling me my teeth are yellow I will shun them or stop talking to them as I might if say, Joe, told me the very same thing.  (Again, I am well aware of my yellow teeth, but if you point it out and you are older than 8, get ready for the silent treatment.)
I employ my children’s honesty a lot when making my crafty things.  Often they will say something while I am in the midst of creating.  It could be a simple, “that looks cute, what is it going to be?”  Or, “is that supposed to be a hat, because it doesn’t looks like one.”  It can be very helpful.  Also it can cause me to put down a project never to pick it back up again.  Later I will find this project wadded up at the bottom of a bag and think, what was this supposed to be?  My kids are usually spot on with their critiques.  I would highly suggest more artists use this method to help with their process.
One area I don’t ever encourage this honesty is when it comes to my cooking.  Now let me preface by saying, I am not a great cook.  I am also not a terrible cook.  Joe might like to add that usually when I make something from a recipe I am almost always short one ingredient and therefore must be creative and substitute something else.  He thinks this is funny.  He might also point out that even with a list I always forget one thing at the grocery store.  So, let’s get back to my cooking.  Since I am neither a gourmet chef nor a frozen dinner type mom I am very self-conscious about my cooking.  I am a pretty good baker, if I do say so myself, but sometimes the main dishes elude my sensibilities.  If it is a dish I myself have never had than I am not really sure how it should taste and therefore when my kids start to gag I don’t know if it is just simply kids being kids or if it is truly gag-worthy.  Regardless, I am utterly offended.  There are less than a handful of non-nugget or macaroni based meals that my kids actually like.  I make these meals often simply to get the kudos I so desperately long for. 
Another area that has brought me to tears is my cleaning.  Again, I am not Martha Stewart, but I do my best and no one has contracted the plague from my housekeeping skills, so there.  Once again my 6 year old (I am sensing a pattern with him) pointed out a smallish bit of crumbs on the breakfast table and said in about as snarky a voice I have ever heard from any of my kids, “ew, I am not eating here, the table is gross!”  And this is when I burst into tears. 
It might appear to some that my kids are hyper-critical.  Nope, they are just kids.  I am reminded of when my oldest was almost two and we were visiting my brother in West Virginia as Christmas.  It was cold there, everyone was bundled up, something we don’t see a lot out here in San Diego.  We were in a coffee shop and there was a larger lady in a red jacket sitting with her back to us having her coffee innocent as can be.  My two year sees her and says “look, Santa!”  Thank goodness she didn’t hear, although I know many friends who have been in similar situations where the person definitely heard.  All you can do is skulk away in shame, but you can’t really reprimand you kids for pointing out the obvious, can you?   I mean, it is like the yellow teeth thing, it is true, everyone knows is, but just because no one ever says anything, does it make it wrong when my kid finally does?  Perhaps that one statement will be what pushes “Santa” to get a gym membership, you never know.  Of course we do talk about keeping our thoughts to ourselves and never pointing (that is impolite, although I am still not quite sure why), and remembering people’s feelings.  But with kids, saying someone is big isn’t said to make them feel bad, it is simply a statement.  Now, there is a shift when this suddenly turns on its heels and then it IS said to make someone feel bad.  I am not sure when this shift takes place exactly, and it might be different with each kid, so I am keeping a keen eye out for clues.  I suspect when instead of simply saying “that person is fat” becomes “hey Dom, look at Shamu over there,” and there is a lot of nudging and chuckling I will have a pretty good idea.
If you are reading this and don’t have kids yet, please don’t let this deter you.  Kids are amazing and it is their brutal honesty that makes them so.  Kids are designed to see the world as purely as possible.  It is a gift we all lose, like the ability to learn any language easily.  Don’t squelch it.  Cry in secret if their yellow teeth comments hurt you, but don’t take away their wide-eyed wonder, until, of course, there is chuckling and nudging, then nip it in the bud.


No comments: