Monday, March 17, 2008

Boys in the hood

Joe and are keeping a running list of all the funny things our boys have said since they have been able to form coherant sentences. I have shared some of these with you all and will continue to do so. We can't wait to add some Nico-isms to the list. Right now his funny sayings consist of responding "da da" when you ask him to say "ma ma" (this happens without fail), saying "GA" when he is excited or his brothers are being loud and he wants to join in, and talking to his toys while he plays.

But apart from the hilarious things they say, our boys DO some pretty hilarious stuff as well. Of course, we don't always see it as hilarious at the time, but in retrospect a life full of boys is one of the most joyful things in the world. I am currently without my 3 boys for the week so Joe and I can get some much needed work done on the house without interruption so I am missing my babies. Don't get me wrong, we are also enjoying meals at restaurants we like (since the kitchen is out of commision at the moment we are eating out a lot), no flying matchbox cars, no 5 am wake-ups to tell us he has to go potty (yes Dom, I am referring to YOU.) But I miss them, and I missed them as soon as I left them.

While boys can certainly drive you crazy and life is much messier and noisier with them around, I wouldn't want it any other way. Joe reminds me often, mostly when I am flustered to the point of pulling hair, that they are kids, and more importantly, THEY ARE BOYS! They are going to jump off the furniture simply because it is there, and as they grow the things they choose to leap from will only get bigger and taller. They are going to wrestle with each other so just try to make some rules so they are relatively safe. They are of course going to fight, so get ready for black eyes and stitches. I know all this, I do, boys are different. If they see a wet paint sign they will stick their hands in the paint, just to make sure, and even if one has seen the other prove the sign is correct, he will still check for himself. Girls don't do this, we are much more trusting of signs like that. I am learnng that while I should of course be putting money away monthly for their college funds, I should be putting as much, if not more, into a fund for bandages, hospital trips, and matchbox cars. (Those pesky things get lost so easily).

I am already seeing the progression into monosyllabic speak with Anthony. When he is trying to convince me of something he is one of the most verbose people I know, but when asked how school was the answer usually comes in one word. Luckily Dominic still likes to talk to me and cuddle with me after naps. I am hoping that will last until he leaves for college. Well, at least the talking part anyway. And Nicolas, well, he is still a bit young to really fully understand he is a boy, but believe me, he is. He is like a bull in a china shop, banging toys around, (this seems to be how he tests them out, if they make a good sound when he pounds them then they are keepers.) He doesn't know the draw of making pretty much anything into a gun, but just give him time. He will be making laser sounds and getting the bad guys soon enough.

I just thought I would share, especially with those of you in my family and friends who are already or will be soon, parents of boys. They are wonderful and they will help you see the world in a completely different way.

No comments: